top of page

Home>Physical Damage Coverage

Physical Damage Coverage

If you're an owner-operator driving on lease to a motor carrier who provides your primary liability, you might need to carry your own physical damage coverage to protect your truck.

Why is this? Typically, a motor carrier provides primary liability coverage for owner-operators, but not necessarily physical damage coverage. When you maintain physical damage on your policy, we'll pay for damages to your truck caused by a collision, overturn, theft or natural disaster - even if you experience a total loss. In addition, this coverage isn't bound by any radius restrictions.











Physical Damage is a general term for a group of insurance coverages that protect your vehicle. This general term includes Collision insurance, as well as your choice of full Comprehensive insurance or the more limited Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverage (CAC) insurance.


Comprehensive insurance provides protection for your vehicle if it is damaged by something other than a collision with a vehicle or object, or if your vehicle is stolen.

Fire and Theft with CAC provides similar protection to that of Comprehensive insurance, except its coverage is limited to certain specific, non-collision incidents. Fire and Theft with CAC does not cover windshield claims.


Who Needs Physical Damage Coverage?


If you have a loan on your vehicle, or if you want to fully protect your vehicle, you should choose Physical Damage insurance.


  • Collision insurance will provide protection in case of a collision.

  • Comprehensive insurance will provide protection against almost everything except a collision with another vehicle or object.

  • Fire and Theft with CAC insurance is a limited form of Comprehensive insurance specially designed for specific heavy truck types.


If your vehicle is leased, you probably are required to have Physical Damage insurance. If your vehicle is fully paid for, Physical Damage coverage is optional.


Physical Damage Coverage Deductibles and Other Details

For Physical Damage insurance, you must choose a deductible. The deductible is the amount that you agree to pay out of pocket when you have a claim.


Choosing a higher deductible is an easy way to lower the price of your insurance. Be sure you choose a deductible that you can afford to pay out of pocket at any time.


When you select Physical Damage insurance, you also are required to submit a Stated Amount, which is your best estimate of the current value of your vehicle. The Stated Amount should take the age and condition of your vehicle into account, as well as any permanently attached equipment. Learn more about Stated Amount and how to calculate it for your vehicle.


Physical Damage insurance cannot be applied to non-owned trailers, such as those used as part of a Trailer Interchange Agreement. Insurance for these trailers can be purchased separately as part of Trailer Interchange insurance.

Bobtail vs Non-Trucking Liability

Non-Trucking Liability insurance is often incorrectly referred to as bobtail insurance. However, bobtail isn't the same thing as Non-Trucking Liability. Please review your contract or verify with your motor carrier to determine which coverage you need.

bottom of page